Thursday, April 23, 2015

Cutting the cord

I am trying an experiment and going to get rid of our cable service.  Wife is on board.  So far, I have signed up for Sling TV, bought a new Roku player, and a new video A/V receiver.  Sling has a deal and I got the Roku player for half price ($50) with a three month commitment.  Monthly content cost is $60.  As part of this experiment, I am also going get an IP based home phone, ViaTalk.  I can keep my phone number and it costs $189 for the first two years (and then $15.95 a month). 

Some random thoughts.  First, there is not a lot of VOD content on Sling.  But they promise more in the future.  On the upside, I got HBO for $15 a month.  On the downside, HBO does not seem to work. 

I also bought an HD antenna ($30).  Once I have everything installed and tested, I'll change my ISP and cancel.  Figure this will take a couple of weeks. 

No comments: