Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Staff Meetings

I am amazed at how many managers don't have staff meetings. Do they think they are not necessary? I think regular staff meetings are a critical management practice for, well, good management and leadership. And don't get me started on weekly meetings with direct reports or skip meetings. First things first. Staff meetings.

When I first started managing multiple groups, I found that I was repeating the same news over and over again. Also, some of the groups were working on complimentary projects or were interdependent and I was increasingly acting as the communication bridge between groups. So, I started to have staff meetings. I have always taken the same general approach to my staff meetings. First some general practices.

First, who owns the agenda and runs the meeting? Not me. Never me. Typically, one of my direct reports who I am starting to think about promoting. I want to give them the experience of running the meetings. They are going to need to do it themselves soon enough. Also, I don't see any reason to control the agenda. If I want to talk about something, I'll ask to have it on the agenda or just bring it up in the meeting.

Second, who attends? This depends on the organization and the needs. If you are often talking sharing confidential information, then a small, senior staff meeting is the way to go. If you want to use the meeting for sharing information across groups, then invite the senior folks and maybe their direct reports. I have seen people invite their directs on odd weeks and include the skip level folks on even weeks. I tend to go with inviting the larger group and make it clear that what is discussed does not go outside the family.

Third, how long? Between an hour and an hour and a half.

Typical agenda?

1. Company Updates. I use this time to talk any big company or departmental news that is relevant. Typically, this time was spent explaining why the company, my boss, or myself was doing something that did not seem to make sense to the staff. Some senior folks are pretty command and control. like to have a pretty tight reign on the discussions. I would rather use the time to share information.

2. Ken Rona updates. I give the team a sense of what I am working on. I do this so the staff can act as effective agents on my behalf and bring up any items that would materially affect my work. In this way, the people on the team can proactively participate in helping me solve my problems. Also, I really liked discussing my work in front of the team. Not only were folks helpful and pushed my thinking, it is good for morale. people like having the transparency.

3. Direct Reports update. My directs share their project lists. The agenda keeper is responsible for putting together an update project list for the group for every meeting. Mostly I focused these discussions on time lines. Are we going to meet this commitment we made. I think having to affirm the commitments in public, every week, keeps people focused.

4. Information sharing. We share interesting team outputs. I am a big fan of sharing information across silos. I often find that someone would do an analysis and share with the team, only to find that either there was a better way to do the analysis or that we could reuse the analysis for another internal client.

Oh, another tip. Have someone bring food. We did not use catering. We rotated this responsibility and reimbursed the cost of the food. It would have been easier (and more expensive) to have it catered, but I liked that people could bring their own style to the catering.

No comments: